Mainfreight is always on the lookout for owner drivers to help grow our business – both in the main centres and in some of the country’s most affordable and beautiful provincial towns.
Meet Jason Street, Mainfreight New Zealand owner driver
“Being an owner driver with Mainfreight gives you the freedom and opportunity of having your own business, while being backed by an awesome team. Mainfreight looks after you with business advice and you’re always included as part of the Mainfreight family.
If you’re willing to grab the opportunities, they’ll feed you plenty of work. When a good job comes along they’ll remember your number, trust me. If you’re thinking about going into business for yourself, why wouldn’t you team up with the best?”
What will you need as an owner driver:
- The skills to be a good business owner. Many people have a partner or someone close who is business savvy to take care of GST, tax and paying bills
- $40,000 in capital will allow you to finance yourself into an entry level pickup and delivery truck
- An accountant. You are setting up your own business as an independent contractor so you want the best business and tax advice – and you’ll need to be GST registered
- Full insurance including public liability
- A valid fork hoist and dangerous goods licence (we run these courses inhouse so don’t worry if you don’t have them to start with)
- You’ll also need a Transport Service Licence and a Goods Service Licence. We can help advise you on what’s involved in getting these
- A strong work ethic and get along well with people from all walks of life
- An eye for detail and a sharp appearance
- A sense of humour. It also helps to be a good driver and to like driving!
Find available roles